World’s biggest Ikea store – level 2
Swedish furniture and home accessories company Ikea opened its biggest store in the world. The new store was in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, and it was 68,000 square meters.
For a very long time, Ikea had a plan to open a store in the Philippines. The country has a growing economy and middle class, which means that more people will buy Ikea’s products in the future. The pandemic stopped the store’s opening, but Ikea started an online sales system which was full for the next two weeks.
Ikea has more than 460 stores in 60 countries, and it plans to grow a lot. The company wants to open several stores in Asia as well as in South America. The first store in South America will be in Chile in Santiago.
Difficult words: home accessories (things which people use to decorate their homes), economy (the business of a country), middle class (people who have good jobs, and they are not poor, but they are not very rich, either).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos