World´s Biggest Reactor – level 3
The world´s largest nuclear fusion reactor began its five-year assembly phase in Cadarache, a southern France.
The 23,000-ton device is built by the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER), and it will replicate the reactions that power the sun. It will be the first fusion device to produce net energy, maintain fusion for long periods of time, and test technologies that are necessary for making fusion-based electricity.
The project is a joint effort of Japan, India, the EU, the US, Russia, China and South Korea, and scientists hope to demonstrate that nuclear fusion can provide a limitless source of cheap, safe and clean electricity. However, it will take until 2035, after a decade of testing and upgrades, to establish whether the reactor actually works as intended.
Difficult words: nuclear fusion (a nuclear reaction in which atoms crash with each other and they release a lot of energy), reactor (a built structure in which nuclear reactions happen), assembly (putting something together), replicate (to make an exact copy of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.