World’s first eye transplant – level 2
Surgeons in New York accomplished the first-ever whole-eye transplant in a human. It is a historic breakthrough.
Aaron James, a military veteran, underwent a surgery which lasted 21 hours. The surgery was part of a partial face transplant after an electrical accident at work. The transplanted eye didn’t help Aaron see but it shows positive signs of health. Dr. Eduardo Rodriguez said that the surgery was a big success and he mentioned that people always thought that such surgery was not possible.
The transplanted eye currently doesn’t communicate with the brain, but the surgery’s success opens a new door for future possibilities in helping people see again.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other potential breakthroughs can be made as a result of the success of this whole-eye transplant?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.