World’s first intestine transplant – level 1
Emma is a Spanish girl. She is one month old. Doctors say that she has a problem with her intestine. Emma’s intestine is too short. Her body doesn’t get enough energy from food. This serious disease is called intestine failure.
Emma’s health gets worse very quickly. She needs a new intestine. Doctors transplant a new intestine when she is 11 months old. Emma also gets other body parts which help her digest.
Emma is the first person in the world to get another person’s intestine. She is a healthy girl now.
Difficult words: intestine (a long tube in the body where food move), transplant (to take an organ from one body and put it to another body), digest (to change the food into small parts which the body can eat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.