World’s largest copper mine – level 1
Chile is a country in South America. It has beautiful nature. It has heavy industry, too.
Chile is one of the biggest producers of copper in the world. Copper is a soft red-brown metal. All the world needs copper. It is in batteries. Copper is also an important metal in renewable technologies.
Chuquicamata is the largest copper mine in the world. Workers get copper from the ground there. It is five kilometers long and 914 meters deep. Workers need half an hour to get down the mine. Workers still find copper there after one hundred years.
Copper is very important for Chile. Copper is almost 30% of the country’s business.
Difficult words: heavy industry (busy activity to make materials and things), producer (a business that collects and makes things for other businesses), renewable technology (machines and work which don’t hurt the natural world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.