World’s largest ferris wheel – level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, has a new world record. The city builds the largest and tallest ferris wheel. A ferris wheel is a ride. It goes around in a big circle above the ground.
It is not easy to build Dubai‘s wheel. The wheel stands on an island. Workers must put the piles in hard rock under sand.
The wheel takes more than six years to build. Workers use 11,200 tons of steel. The center of the wheel is as heavy as four planes.
The wheel is 250 meters tall. It has 48 cabins. 40 people can be in one cabin.
Millions of tourists visit Dubai every year. Dubai is the business center of Western Asia. The tallest building in the world is also there. The new wheel will make the city even more interesting for tourists.
Difficult words: pile (a long structure which holds a building), steel (a hard grey metal which people use to make buildings and machines), cabin (a small room, usually in a ship or boat, where people can sit).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos