World’s largest ferris wheel – level 3
Dubai officially opened the world’s largest and tallest ferris wheel on Thursday, as the city tries to build its status for tourism.
The wheel took more than six years to develop, and it opened with a lavish drone and firework show. Standing on the city’s Bluewaters Island, the structure needed to be drilled down into the ground to hold the weight of the whole structure.
The Dubai’s Eye, known as Ain Dubai in Arabic, stands around 250 meters tall, and it can hold 1,750 visitors. The construction used 11,200 tons of steel to build, which is about 33% more than the amount used to construct the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. The structure’s hub and spindle weigh 1,805 tons, which is the equivalent to four large airplanes. 192 spokes hold the wheel, each made of 107 separate 9milimeter-thick wires. Each of the 48 cabins fit 40 people. People designed Ain Duba to last 300,000 cycles, or 60 years, to adhere to strict design and safety codes.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.