World’s largest sandcastle – level 2
A Dutch creator and 30 sculptors created the largest sandcastle in the world.
The sandcastle was in Blokhus, Denmark, and it was almost 21 meters high. It beat the previous record by more than 3 meters. The sculptors built a wooden structure, and they put clay on it. When the clay was dry, they put glue on it, and covered the clay with almost 4,500 tons of sand.
On the top of the sandcastle, they put a copy of the coronavirus, and it looked like a crown. The creator wanted to show the power which coronavirus had. The sandcastle also represented Danish culture.
Every year, there is a sandcastle festival in Blokhus, and this year, it will be even more special because people will celebrate their Guinness World Record.
Difficult words: clay (an earth which is soft when it is wet, and when it dries, it is hard), glue (a sticky material which makes things hold together), represent (to be a symbol of something), Guinness World Record (a record which shows something is the most special in the whole world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos