World’s oldest person dies – level 1
It is 1898 in Japan. A baby girl is born. She grows up and helps her family. She gets married. Now, in 1919, she is 21.
She has three children. The children give her three grandchildren. The grandchildren give her six great-grandchildren. She never gets major illnesses.
Now, in 2015, she is an old woman. She is 117 years old! The Guinness World Records recognises her. She is the oldest person on earth. Sadly, she dies not much later.
The last oldest person was also from Japan. He was 117. The next oldest person is from the United States. She is 116.
Difficult words: major (bad or serious), illness (a very bad sickness – something that makes you feel bad), recognise (to tell many people about you).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you want to live to 117 years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.