World’s oldest person dies – level 2
A woman in Japan was born in 1898. She helped her family in a clothing business until she got married and started her own family at age 21. She had three children, three grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.
She never had major illnesses throughout her lifetime. She lived to be the oldest person on earth. She had her birthday on March 5th at the age of 117, and the Guinness World Records recognised her as the oldest person alive. She died recently of natural causes.
The next oldest person is 116 years old and lives in the United States.
Difficult words: major (very bad), recognise (to let many people know about you), die of natural causes (to die from something that seems normal when you’re old).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you want to live to 117 years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.