World’s Protected Land – level 3
According to a new study, protected land is shrinking around the world, and the USA under President Trump has seen its largest reduction ever.
However, the study says that 90% of the government’s proposed land protection changes have been issued since 2000.
Trump is also not the first president to shrink a national monument (which in the USA is a protected area similar to a national park). For example, three different presidents shrank Mount Olympus National Monument in Washington before it eventually was designated a national park.
Across the globe, 1.3 million square miles of land protections have been downgraded or removed since 1961, according to the study. The changes are largely in favour of industrial operations, but local pressure and land claims are also a cause.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.