World’s Richest Men – level 3
The co-founder of Tesla, Elon Musk, passed Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person.
The 49-year-old entrepreneur’s net worth soared from $7.2 billion to $127.9 billion when Musk added $100.3 billion to his net worth this year. It is the most of anyone on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index that ranks the world’s 500 richest people. In January, Musk ranked 35th.
Musk’s advance up the wealth ranks has been driven largely by Tesla whose market value is approaching $500 billion.
Musk’s milestone marks only the second time in the index’s eight-year history that Microsoft co-founder Bill gates has ranked lower than number two. Gate’s net worth is $127.7 billion; however, it would be much higher if he had not donated more than $27 billion to charity over the years. Gates held the top spot for years before he was bumped by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos in 2017 whose net worth is currently $182 billion.
Difficult words: entrepreneur (a person who makes money from new ideas in business), net worth (the value of the assets and money that a person or business has after the debts are taken away), advance (a forward movement), bump (to remove, to lower).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.