World’s Strongest Man – level 1
Hafþór Björnsson is an actor and powerlifter. A powerlifter lifts heavy weights. Björnsson is 32 years old. He is 6 feet and 9 inches tall. He lives in Iceland.
In 2018, Björnsson wins a competition for strong men. Björnsson becomes the strongest man in the world. This week, Björnsson breaks the world record in deadlift.
Deadlift is a special exercise for strong people. A person lifts a heavy weight off the ground to the hips. He must stand straight.
Björnsson lifts 1104 pounds. He breaks the record from 2016. In 2016, Eddie Hall lifts 1102 pounds. Many people do not think that Björnsson can do it. He is happy and proud.
Björnsson is a star of the popular TV series Game of Thrones. He plays Gregor ’The Mountain’ Clegane.
Difficult words: weight (a bar with pieces of metal at both ends that people lift and exercise their bodies with it), competition (an event in which people try to be better than somebody else), hips (the body part between the belly and legs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos