World’s ugliest dog – level 3
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all? Well, certainly not Quasimodo!
This 10-year-old pit bull and Dutch shepherd mix has just been crowned the world’s ugliest dog at the annual competition in Petaluma, California. Quasimodo hails from Florida and was rescued from an animal shelter.
Multiple spine defects have resulted in a backbone too short for his body, but that has not held him back! According to event organisers, he loves to jump and play and because of his appearance, he is a great ambassador for teaching people about acceptance and tolerance.
Last year, he was runner-up in the competition, but this year, Quasimodo managed to beat 19 other finalists for the title. The winner takes home $1,500 US dollars and can expect to make many local and national TV appearances. Many of those competing were shelter dogs.
The first competition was held over 50 years ago in Petaluma, and owners have been taking their pets to compete ever since. Perhaps it’s not so bad to be dog-ugly!
Difficult words: fairest (most attractive – old use), hail (to come from), animal shelter (a place where animals live until people can adopt them), defect (problem), runner-up (somebody who finishes second in a competition), dog-ugly (to be as ugly as a dog).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.