Xi Meets Kim – level 3
Chinese President Xi Jinping met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in the first trip by a Chinese leader to North Korea in 14 years.
The meeting was largely a symbolic show of the countries’ united front before the G-20 summit which starts tomorrow in Japan.
The red carpet was rolled out and hundreds of thousands lined the streets to wave flags in a typically North Korean fashion, as the two leaders drove by, standing and waving from the car. The two leaders attended a banquet and then a gymnastics performance, titled ‘Undefeated Socialism’, where Kim said that socialism is the core of North Korean–China friendship and that the two countries must protect it and build it together.
The discussion the two heads had was possibly the most important part of the trip but both countries have been vague about what they said. However, Xi said that China would continue to mediate talks between USA and North Korea. A North Korean state media outlet reported that Kim and Xi also talked about their opinions on the political situation of the Korean Peninsula and other serious international and regional issues.
Difficult words: banquet (a formal meal for many people), core (the deepest, most important part), vague (unclear, not giving information).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos