Yak polo in Pakistan – level 2
Every year in Pakistan, people hold an interesting festival. It takes place nearly 3,000 feet (which is almost 4 km) above sea level.
The major attraction of this festival is a sport called yak polo. It is like regular polo, but the players ride on yaks, not on horses. A yak is a big animal which looks like a hairy cow.
Many people in this area of Pakistan never travel outside the region. They are unfamiliar with things like electricity, hospitals or even clean drinking water.
Difficult words: major (important), attraction (something which makes people come), unfamiliar (when a person does not know something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to try this sport?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.