Yak polo in Pakistan – level 3
Despite Broghil Valley being a highly isolated region in the northernmost valley of the Chitral district of Pakistan, it hosts a world sport known as yak polo.
Yes, you did hear correctly, yak polo is played at an altitude of nearly 13,000 feet (almost 4 km) above sea level, and is a major attraction of the annual Broghil festival.
The special sporting event is played riding on yaks instead of horses in the Himalaya and Hindu Kush mountain ranges of the country.
Each polo team has six players who rush towards the opponent’s goal posts.
The area lacks basic facilities; many of its people have never travelled outside the region and are not familiar with modern facilities like electricity, access to health facilities or clean drinking water.
The yak polo players say the animals are expensive to buy and they are hoping for financial assistance to keep the sport alive.
Difficult words: isolated (the area is far away from lots of people or big cities), yak (animal which looks like a hairy cow), annual (happening every year), rush (move fast), lack (doesn’t have), facility (resource).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.