Yemen is under attack – level 3
Fighter jets from the Saudi-led coalition pounding Yemen’s main airport in the capital Sanaa left an aircraft burning on the runway. The heavy Saudi-led airstrikes targeted several airports across Yemen, as the foreign minister said officials were considering a cease-fire to allow aid into the Arab world’s poorest country.
A black cloud of smoke could be seen rising over the airport where Iran-allied Houthi rebels are stationed. One plane seen fully engulfed in flames was later doused with water from local fire trucks.
The air strikes come just a day after coalition jets struck Sanaa’s al Dulaimi military airbase, destroying the last remaining landing strips in the war-torn country. The coalition has been carrying out airstrikes in Yemen since March against the Houthis and their allies.
However, the Saudi foreign minister said on Monday they’re considering calling truces in specific areas to allow humanitarian supplies to reach the country. The United Nations says the humanitarian situation has grown desperate after weeks of airstrikes.
Difficult words: pound (to hit heavily and repeatedly), target (to select something for an attack), cease-fire (stopping the fighting for some time), engulfed (surrounded), douse (to pour), coalition (a group that works together to fight something), truce (an agreement to stop fighting).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos