Young pelican is getting big – level 1
This news is about a pelican. He lives in a zoo. This zoo is in San Diego, California.
The pelican is a boy. He is one month old. He is 12 pounds (5.4 kilograms) heavy. He is getting big. The zoo workers must watch him. The pelican must not eat too much. If he eats too much, he will grow too fast. Growing up very fast is not good.
The pelican has a sibling, but he lives alone. Sometimes, pelican siblings fight, and that is dangerous.
Difficult words: If …, will … (this is the “second conditional”; we use it to talk about things which are not happening, but can happen and with what result), sibling (brother or sister).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Babies grow so fast... :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.