Young people and concussion – level 1
Hannah Parmenter hits her head hard when she is playing soccer at age 11. She is 21 years old now. She still has problems today.
Many young people hit their heads when they play sports. Rest is the best thing for people with head injuries. That is what doctors think in the past. But now, doctors say that going back to school soon might be better. Children who miss less school have fewer problems later. This means that going back to school helps the brain feel better.
Doctors say that parents should help kids be with their friends, not worry about school, sleep well, and exercise a little. Doctors can help kids with head injuries. Parents should not just wait for them to feel better.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What advice would you give to parents whose children are recovering from head injuries sustained while playing sports?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.