Young people buy clothes online – level 3
Depop is a shopping app made for and by Gen Z, and it is taking the sustainable shopping world by storm, boasting more than 30 million users across 150 countries.
Depop is an online hub where people buy and sell used clothing, vintage shoes, and accessories, and the hub is disrupting the global retail industry.
Depop is powered by young influencers like 20-year-old Moira Campos who is one of Depop´s top sellers. She has about 40,000 followers, and selling clothes online has become a full-time job for her. She works with her brother to find, shoot, and sell dozens of items on the app every week.
According to analysts, Depop could be a real threat to traditional retailers because the younger generation and influencers like to create one-of-a-kind outfits at a great price. However, there are questions about ethics, too. Some young sellers buy clothing in bulk, and then they sell them on the online store for twice the price. As more teens turn to the app, some people fear that sustainability might lose out to profitability.
Difficult words: hub (the most important place where a particular activity takes place), vintage (clothing, jewelry or other things that aren´t new but still valued because of the quality or good condition), ethics (when people think something is good or bad), bulk (many items of the same thing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.