Young people watch climate change meeting – level 3
Youth activist leaders from around the globe gathered in Stockholm, Sweden, ahead of their journey to the United Nations climate summit where they will let their voices be heard.
Thousands of people marched in the city on Friday for the last Global Climate Strike before the 2021 Climate Change Conference, COP26, opens in Glasgow, Scotland.
People planned strikes in more than 500 locations around the globe, organized by Fridays for Future, a youth climate movement started by Swedish activist Greta Thunberg. She said that she was fearful that Glasgow would not provide the action needed to solve problems. However, youth activists‘ presence from around the world would remind politicians that their actions were being scrutinized.
The activist added that young people were watching the world leaders, and they were not going to let them get away with just talking, doing nothing and only pretending that the situation was under control.
Difficult words: activist (a person who works to change politics or society), climate summit (a conference where world leaders discuss how to prevent the rising of world’s temperature), scrutinize (to examine something very carefully and thoroughly).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.