Yuri the Russian Hobbit – level 3
Five-and-a-half years ago, a lawyer in Moscow decided to leave his legal career behind and live in a hut in a forest.
The right entrance to his underground home looks like a hobbit door, so people started to call him the Hobbit. However, Yuri Alexeyev insists that he is more like a character from Alice in Wonderland and he even has a white rabbit.
The former lawyer has joined the BookCrossing movement, which is the practice of leaving a book in a public place so others can pick it up and read it, and they do likewise. So far, Yuri registered around 4,500 books. He also gives lectures on Chekhov’s masterpiece The Cherry Orchard in his hut, and he runs his own YouTube channel.
Difficult words: former (-ex), likewise (the same thing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos