Zika virus in Latin America – level 2
In Latin American countries, the Zika virus is spreading. Mosquitos carry the infection, and it will affect up to 4 million people this year. Brazil is suffering from around 1.5 million cases.
To most people, the illness is not dangerous, but for pregnant women the virus could be life changing. It causes serious brain defects in babies.
The Brazilian army is trying to eradicate mosquitos to stop the virus. So far, the mosquitos are winning.
The virus is new and it is spreading fast. A vaccine against the virus will not be available for some years. People are right to be worried.
Difficult words: spread (to get to more places), defect (a fault, a weakness, a problem), eradicate (to destroy completely).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Zika virus?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.