Zuckerberg at Congress – level 3
Mark Zuckerberg took two days to testify before members of Congress last week, and he apologised for privacy breaches on Facebook.
He said that the social media website did not take a broad enough view of its responsibility, which was a big mistake. He continued to take responsibility for Facebook, saying that he started it, runs it, and he is responsible for what happens at the company.
Illinois Senator Dick Durbin asked Zuckerberg whether he would be comfortable sharing the name of the hotel where he stayed the previous night, or the names of the people who he messaged that week. The CEO was startled by the question, and he took about 7 seconds to respond with no.
The senator used such techniques to illustrate the point of the hearing – people’s right to privacy, limits of the rights to privacy, and how much we give up in the name of ‘connecting people around the world’.
Difficult words: testify (formally answer questions, talk about what happened), breach (a problem, doing something illegal), CEO (the most important boss at a company), startled (shocked), hearing (a formal situation when somebody explains something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.