Underwater Scorpion – level 2
American geologists found 150 pieces of fossils about 18 metres under the Upper Iowa River. The fossils belong to a predator which lived 0.5 billion years ago.
It was a giant underwater scorpion. It grew up to 170 centimetres in length. However, half of this animal’s length was its tail. It used it for balance. The tail was spiked, but it did not sting like the tail of a modern scorpion.
The animal, which is called Pentecopterus, also had 12 arms at the front.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this animal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.