10 Million Meals – level 3
The world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, has been turned into a spectacular donation box. Standing tall at about 2,700 feet, the iconic building was switched on every time a donation of 10 dirhams, or one meal, was made.
The initiative was a part of the ’10 Million Meals’ campaign by Dubai’s ruler. ’10 Million Meals’ is the biggest community campaign that will provide meals or food parcels to support vulnerable individuals and families affected by COVID-19. Over $3 million dollars have been donated, which provide 1.2 million meals that will be given among people in the UAE.
The campaign completed its second week, and UAE officials said that it was a true manifestation of social solidarity and unity.
Difficult words: initiative (an important act that is intended to solve a problem), manifestation (a sign of something happening), solidarity (when people show sympathy and they support each other).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos