5G network in Kenya – level 2
Safaricom became the first company to start a 5G network in East Africa.
The company has 35 5G sites in Nairobi and several other cities in Kenya, but it plans to have 200 sites in spring next year. With 65% control, Safaricom is the leader on the market with mobile data, but it wants to increase its control of fixed data.
The problem is that out of 27 million smartphones in Kenya, only a few of them can use 5G. 5G phones have high prices, but the prices are actually going down fast. For this reason, Safaricom wants to focus on 5G wifi rather than mobile data.
Safaricom is thinking about how to make 5G technology more accessible, and one idea is to offer fixed data subscriptions.
Difficult words: fixed data (Internet data which requires a computer or terminal), accessible (when many people can have something), subscription (when people pay some money every month to get a service).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.