5G network in Kenya – level 3
Safaricom has launched a 5G network as the first company to deploy the technology in East Africa.
Safaricom uses equipment from Nokia and Huawei to power its network, and it offers subscriptions to get more people in the fixed data market. The company dominates about 65% of the mobile data market; however, it only has 30% of the fixed data market.
Safaricom said it would focus on 5G Wi-Fi rather than mobile because few 5G-compatible devices are in Kenya due to the high cost. However, prices were going down quickly, and the company was improving access to 5G technology.
The company has 35 active 5G sites in Nairobi and other major cities, and it plans to increase the number to 200 by March of next year.
Difficult words: deploy (to bring into action), dominate (to be in control of), compatible (work with something else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos