A bookstore gets a fine – level 3
The Hungarian government has fined the country’s second-largest bookstore, Lira, nearly 36,000 dollars for violating a law that bans depicting homosexuality to minors.
The charge against them is for not wrapping an LGBTQ graphic novel Heartstopper in plastic foil. The controversial 2021 law requires all books with LGBTQ themes to be wrapped and sold separately, at least 200 meters away from schools or churches. The law is part of Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s Christian-conservative agenda and it’s been criticized by the EU.
Lira’s creative director Krisztian Nyary says the law is vague and difficult to implement. This fine is the highest in the history of the Hungarian book trade. Despite using legal means, the fine can’t be appealed.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the implications of the Hungarian government's controversial 2021 law?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.