A gang kidnaps people – level 1
In Haiti, 17 religious people are on a trip to a home for orphans last week. An orphan is a child whose parents are dead. These religious people are 16 Americans and one Canadian. Five children travel with them. Then, a group of men kidnaps them.
These men belong to the 400 Mawozo gang. This gang is very dangerous. They kidnap many people. They ask the Haitian government for money. All 22 people will be free if the government pays 17 million dollars.
Kidnappings happen very often in Haiti. The situation is much worse after the murder of the Haitian president in July. There are three times more kidnappings than before. The US government says that it will help the Haitian police fight the gangs.
Difficult words: kidnap (to take a person by force and say that the person will be free if the criminal gets money), gang (a group of criminals), kidnapping (a situation when someone takes a person by force and he asks for money, and when he gets the money, this person will be free).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.