A Lake Is Full of Fish Again – level 2
Lake Dojran is in North Macedona and Greece. It has an area of 43 km2, and it is 10 meters deep.
In the 1990s, farmers used the water from Lake Dojran, and the lake almost disappeared. There were no fish and fishermen lost work. The impact on tourism was strong, too. Both countries decided to save the lake and North Macedonia pumped underground water to fill the lake. In recent years, it rained a lot, which helped increase the level of water, too. Now, fishermen say that there are more fish in the lake than before.
Scientists say that there is still not enough water and that the lake is dirty, and it has an impact on animals and plants living there. Fishermen are happy though and they believe that there will be more good news in the future.
Difficult words: 2 (the ‘2’ means squared that shows how much area a place has), disappear (when something does not exist anymore), impact (a big change), increase (to make or become greater).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos