A Man Collects Old Phones – level 3
Hassan al-Tourky is Egypt´s vintage telephone collector, who collects and restores old telephones.
Some of al-Tourky´s collections date back to the 1800s and they were once owned by famous persons like Egypt´s late King Farouq. King Farouq´s phone dates back to 1933, and it is specifically used in the royal court. Al-Tourky also owns Charlie Chaplin´s telephone that was hung on the wall and one that was placed on his desk.
The family-run shop does not make much money; however, it is run with a passion for preserving history. The 65-year-old collector buys some phones from villas, palaces, or auctions; however, some of the phones were left by al-Tourky´s father, who loved them, just like al-Tourky does. He keeps them for himself and his sons who share his passion.
Difficult words: vintage (something from the past that is of high quality), passion (a strong feeling of excitement for something), preserve (to protect something and keep it in its original or current state).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.