A man fakes his death – level 3
Nicolas Rossi spent 11 months trying to trick Scottish courts. He wanted them to believe that he was Arthur Knight, an Irish orphan who’d never been to the US.
Authorities alleged that Knight was lying, and he was actually Rossi, a fugitive suspect who was fighting extradition to the US. On Friday, a court ruled that the man was lying, and he will now face extradition to the US in March 2023.
In 2008, Rossi allegedly raped a 21-year-old woman, and he was fighting an extradition request by US authorities. In the same year, he was convicted of sexually assaulting another woman. In 2020, he reportedly faked his own death, and fled to Scotland to escape sentencing.
Last year, staff at a Scottish hospital spotted Rossi’s tattoos while they treated him for coronavirus. However, he claimed that someone tattooed him while he was unconscious in hospital. He spent the last two years insisting that he was a victim of mistaken identity.
Difficult words: allege (to claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong), fugitive (a person who escapes from authorities), extradition (return someone for trial to another country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos