A man slaps the French president – level 3
The French president Emmanuel Macron was slapped in the face by a man during a visit to a small town in southeast France.
Macron was greeting the public waiting for him behind barriers after he visited a high school that was training students to work in hotels and restaurants.
During the incident, Macron just managed to turn his face away as the aggressor’s right hand connected, making it appear that the president took more of a glancing blow than a direct slap. A bodyguard, who was standing right behind Macron, raised his hand in defense of the president; however, he was a fraction of a second too late to stop the slap.
French news broadcasters said that police had arrested two people, the man suspected of slapping Macron and another man who filmed a video. Macron didn’t comment on the incident.
Difficult words: aggressor (a person who is violent or threatening), connect (to come in contact), glancing blow (a hit that partly misses so that it doesn’t have its full force), fraction (a small part or amount of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.