A pilot survives a crash – level 2
During a flight-demonstration training at an air-force base in Zaragoza, Spain, an F-18 fighter jet crashed.
Fortunately, the pilot ejected just before the jet crashed on the base premises. The pilot got injured but is recovering at a local hospital. The crash caused a big explosion, which was captured on video. Fortunately, there was no other damage, and police are working hard to find out why the accident happened.
Spain experienced several F-18 accidents since 1988. The most recent incident happened in 2017 when a fighter jet crashed during takeoff from the Torrejon de Ardoz base in Madrid.
Difficult words: eject (when a pilot presses a button which makes him leave a plane), premises (a house or building together with its land), capture (to record in words or pictures).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps have the Spanish air-force taken to prevent further incidents like this one?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos