A runner must leave the Olympics – level 2
Belarusian runner Krystsina Tsimanouskaya received a Polish visa, and she is in the Polish embassy in Tokyo, Japan.
The athlete said that she was not happy with the way that officials managed her team. She said that the officials put her in the 4x400m relay, which she never ran before. After that, the officials did not let her run in the 200 meters.
This caused a strong negative reaction in the Belarus state news. Team officials forced the runner to leave the Olympic Games early. They asked her to fly back to Belarus, but she refused to do it.
Tsimanouskaya asked sports officials to find out who decided that she must leave the Olympic Games. She wants to continue running in the future, but the most important thing for her now is that she is safe.
Difficult words: visa (a document which says that someone can stay in a country), relay (a race when each member of a team runs a part of the race), refuse (to not do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos