A School Walks to a New Place – level 1
A very old school is in Shanghai, China. The school is 85 years old. Engineers want to move it to another place. Builders want to build a business building in the same place.
Engineers put more than 200 robotic legs underneath the school. The legs move up and down. They turn around. The building lifts off the ground. It looks like the school is walking.
The school walks 62 meters. The school is very heavy. It weighs 7,600 tons. It takes 18 days to move the school.
Engineers are happy. It is the biggest task that they do. And they do it well.
Difficult words: engineer (a person who plans or builds buildings and machines), robotic (something that is a machine but it seems like a human or an animal), underneath (exactly below something), lift off (to move up).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.