A ship breaks in half – level 1
A typhoon hits China. It is the first storm this year. It brings strong winds and heavy rains. They go to the south of the country.
Very high waves are in the South China Sea. Ships have problems. One ship breaks in half.
30 people are on board. Rescuers try to get to the ship quickly. The ship is sinking.
Rescuers are in a helicopter above the ship. Rescuers save three people. Nobody knows where the other 27 people are.
Experts say that more rain and strong winds will come. Millions of people live in the south of China. The storm can destroy many homes.
Difficult words: typhoon (a strong storm in the Pacific Ocean), sink (to go to the bottom),destroy (to damage something a lot).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos