A ship is too big – level 1
Jeff Bezos is an American. He is the second richest man in the world. Workers in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, are building a yacht for him.
The ship is the biggest yacht in the world. It is 127 meters long. It costs around 430 million dollars. The problem is that it cannot leave Rotterdam.
The ship must go under a bridge. The bridge is not tall enough. Workers must take a part of the steel bridge. They put it into pieces. Jeff Bezos will pay for the work.
People are angry. Workers restore the bridge in 2017. The bridge is very special. It is almost 100 years old.
Difficult words: yacht (a boat which people use for racing or for trips), steel (a strong gray material), restore (to fix and make something look new again).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos