A ship is too big – level 2
A Dutch company is building a yacht for Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon. The problem is that the yacht is too big, and it cannot pass through Rotterdam to get to the ocean.
The yacht is 127 meters long, and it needs to go under a steel bridge. It is possible to lift a part of the bridge into the air, but it still is not enough. The company asked the Rotterdam municipality to dismantle the bridge, which made many people very angry. The bridge was a historical place, and workers repaired it in 2017.
The price of the yacht was about 430 million dollars, and it was the biggest yacht in the world. Jeff Bezos said that he would pay for the work on the bridge.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.