A ship is too big – level 3
Jeff Bezos’s new superyacht is so big that the Dutch city of Rotterdam had to take apart a historic bridge to ship it to him.
Workers in Oceanco are building the 127-meter-long sailing yacht. The company is a custom yacht builder owned by an Omani billionaire. However, for the boat to reach the ocean, it will have to pass through Rotterdam and then go under a historic steel bridge known as De Hef.
It’s possible to raise the bridge’s central span more than 40 meters into the air; however, it’s still not enough to make room for the yacht’s three giant masts. The estimated worth of the ship is 430 million dollars, and it will be the largest sailing yacht in the world.
The decision sparked problems since the city council promised not to touch this historic place after its rebuild in 2017. The bridge is a historic place, an uncommon part in the city that suffered significant damage in World War II.
Difficult words: span (a part of a bridge between two supports), make room (to make space), mast (a tall pole on a boat or ship that supports its sails).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos