A tourist gets lost in a jungle – level 2
Daniel Florian is a German tourist who visited an indigenous area in southwest Colombia. Then he got lost in a jungle and he was missing for seven days.
Local media said that Florian took part in a shaman ritual and that he drank Yage tea. Yage is a type of vine which grows in South America. People boil its bark and they make a tea from it. They use it as a traditional medicine, but people have hallucinations when they drink the tea.
Colombian soldiers found Florian and he did not know where he was. He was very tired because he did not drink water for several days. The soldiers took him to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Difficult words: indigenous (when something always existed in a place or someone always lived there), shaman (a person who has special powers and he can communicate with the spirit world), hallucination (when someone thinks that what he sees and hears is real but it happens only in his mind).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.