A very big fish – level 1
Fishermen catch tuna fish in the Mediterranean Sea. Tuna are big fish. Then they find something different in their nets. They catch a very big sunfish.
Sunfish usually go through this area. Fishermen see them often. They never see a sunfish so big. It is 3.2 meters long, it is 2.9 meters wide. It weighs nearly 2,000 kilograms.
Scientists come to look at it. They are very surprised. They only read about sunfish so big in books.
People in Europe do not eat sunfish. They protect them. Scientists release this sunfish back into the sea.
Difficult words: net (a device for catching fish, birds, insects, and other animals), protect (to keep safe), release (to let go).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos