A very big fish – level 2
Fishermen in the Mediterranean Sea found a huge sunfish in their fishing nets. They were very surprised by how big the fish was, so they called scientists.
The fish was 3.2 meters long, 2.9 meters wide, and it weighed nearly 2,000 kilograms. It was the biggest sunfish people saw in Ceuta, on the north coast of Africa. People see sunfish here very often because the fish travel through this area. Nobody expected to see a sunfish this big.
Sunfish is vulnerable in Europe, and vulnerable means that people must protect it, and they do not eat it. After scientists checked the fish, they released it back into the sea.
Difficult words: huge (very big), protect (to care about something, and keep it safe), release (to set free).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos