A wall stops people – level 1
Turkey builds a wall on its border with Iran. The wall is 65 kilometers long.
It will stop people who come from Afghanistan. Afghan people do not want to live in their country. They are afraid of the Taliban. The Taliban is a dangerous religious group.
Turkey stops 105,000 Afghan people last year. The number is already 55,000 this year. NATO soldiers leave Afghanistan this year. Turkey is afraid that more people will want to leave Afghanistan.
3.7 million refugees from Syria are in Turkey. Turkey must stop the Afghan people. Turkey cannot look after more refugees. Most refugees want to get to Europe.
Difficult words: religious (connected to a god), NATO (the North Atlantic Treaty Organization which is a group of many countries that want to protect each other), soldier (a person who fights for a country or a group), refugee (a person who leaves his country because it is dangerous to live there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.