Accident in Taiwan – level 2
A train going from Taipei to Taitung in Taiwan derailed last Sunday.
It was carrying around 366 passengers, and the derailment killed at least 22 people and injured 171 others. The express launched in 2013, and the trains travel up to 150 kilometre per hour.
Soldiers and firefighters are working to find trapped people. People are investigating the cause of this crash.
Difficult words: derail (leave the tracks), express (a very fast service), launch (open), trapped (under something heavy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos