Activist’s Body Found – level 2
An activist disappeared in August in Argentina during a protest. The people were protesting for a native leader. They wanted him to be let out of jail, and they also wanted a clothing company to give back land to the native people.
Last Tuesday, the activist’s family said that someone found his body. Some people think that the police are hiding what happened to him and that the government is not saying anything. The police say that they never arrested him or did anything wrong.
There were many disappearances by Argentina’s government in recent years. People still remember this.
Difficult words: activist (a person who says what they think), disappear (if you disappear, nobody knows where you are and if you are alive), native (a person who is originally from a place; in Argentina, this is a person from South America and not from Europe), government (the ‘bosses’ of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.