Activist’s Body Found – level 3
In Argentina, an activist named Santiago Maldonado disappeared on August 1, 2017, during a protest to release the indigenous leader of Mapuche from jail and to ask the clothing company Benneton to relinquish land to the Mapuche. Last Tuesday, Santiago’s family reported that someone had found his body.
Some rights groups think that there was a police cover-up on what happened to Santiago. One woman said that the border police killed him to make him go away and that the government is not taking responsibility. The police say that they never arrested him and deny any wrongdoing.
Argentina has a history of forced disappearances during the time of the military junta and it still casts a shadow.
Difficult words: indigenous (native; in Argentina, this is not originally from Europe), relinquish (give up), forced disappearance (when the military government of Argentina kidnaps a person who spoke out against it), military junta (a military government, a dictatorship), shadow (a dark reminder).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.