Albino Whale in Mexico – level 3
People named an Albino whale Gallon of Milk for her bright white skin when people first spotted her in 2008. In 2016, biologists later saw her swimming with her calf, which is normal-coloured.
The marine biologists were doing their census of grey whales (to which family she belongs) off Mexico’s Pacific coast.
Albinism is a genetic disorder which results in either the reduction or complete absence of the pigment melanin. People have recorded it in different mammals, birds and reptiles, but there are very few records of albino cetaceans.
For the last 20 years, the annual migration of grey whales off the coast of Mexico has been monitored during mating and reproduction seasons. By keeping an eye on the whales, the biologists have documented a successful recovery of the grey whale population, ensuring the survival of the species for future generations.
Difficult words: census (count how many of something there is), albinism (the issue of being an albino), pigment (a colour), melanin (the dark colour in skin and hair), cetacean (a marine mammal), ensure (make sure), species (a type of animal).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this albino whale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.